Women Being Supported


 In the 60's when I was playing women's basketball it was being played 6 on 6 and only 2 team members from each team could run full court. We wore one piece gym suits with hand sewn numbers on the back and front. Some of the courts we played on were so short in length that we had to put one foot up on the wall when making an end court out of bounds play.  Games were played at 3:30 in the afternoon so would-be spectators were mostly working. Many women playing today have no idea of how it "all began".  In 1971 the women's game went to 5 on 5 with running full court open to all! It brought new excitement to the game. I was no longer playing but I was now coaching in the early 70's.  We practiced after the guys practiced; had 6 basketballs to their 12; one uniform when they had home and away uniforms and the pay was a third of the male's hoops coach salary. I hope you get the picture.

                                       Title IX was passed on June 23, 1972. 
The fight for decent practice times and equipment and uniforms continued until all the years of asking patiently ended and I filed a claim with the then Human Rights Committee in the State of Maine for equality for ALL women's sports.  It was a lonely fight but when things are wrong they are always wrong until something changes. These equality claims were being tested in some other States as well. Things began to change for young girls and women in Maine.  In all my years of coaching many sports I never ever thought I would live long enough to see the outcome of all the possibilities open to young girls and women in sports when given a chance. 

Last Sunday I had the lifetime opportunity to be in attendance watching the #1 Women's Basketball South Carolina team play on their home court that was sold out to 15,000 spectators! The energy, the top technical production displayed, the decibels in that arena and most of all witnessing teams support systems on the bench (coaches, trainers, statisticians) was to this old coach beyond words. The skill levels of these talented, dedicated, hard training and working women were all on display.  I found myself teary eyed...I never thought I would see the day. Before me was exactly what it looks like to witness women doing what they love when they are supported. May it continue not only on sporting fields and courts but in every aspect of life.

Thank you Title IX!



Comments

  1. So enjoyed your”How far we’ve come”.
    I wondered when the game changed.I remember playing intramural basketball and didn’t enjoy “the girls” rules.
    Thank you for your efforts in changing women sports.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Point of View...Trans in Sports

THE document...

And The Beat Goes On...